Tuesday, July 7, 2015

DIY Laundry Detergent for High Efficiency Washers!




If I am going to be completely honest...  I wanted to make my own laundry detergent so that way I could have the powder displayed in a pretty glass jar.
....and that's how this post came to be!

We all know one pretty glass jar can lead the way to bigger and better laundry room makeovers.

One small step at a time over here, folks.

But, really, there is a lot of money-saving potential if you want to take a few minutes to make your own detergent.  The entire process took me about 15 minutes and it was WORTH it!

I found all four products at Publix for roughly $13 total.  The products came in the exact quantities needed for the recipe.  The mix should last for 200+ washes!  Of course, the container is a one time purchase as well as a grater-- [if you don't already own those].


Here are the supplies you will need:

1. 1 Bar of Fels-Naptha Laundry Soap
2. 1 Box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda [55 ounces]
3. 1 Box Borax [76 ounces]
4. 1 Box Oxi-Clean [or similar brand]
5. Glass container [I recommend a 2 gallon jar]
6. Cheese grater




The next step is to grab any kid helpers who like to be involved and literally dump the powdered ingredients into the jar.  Lastly, you will want to grate the bar of soap and then mix, mix, mix.  {I reminded Owen multiple times during this process this, in fact, is not grated cheddar cheese!}


Finally, once you have it all mixed up find a tablespoon measuring scoop to keep in the jar.  Each load takes one scoop-  if you have a VERY dirty/heavy load, you can use two tablespoons.


I did a lot of research before diving into to this to be sure it was HE machine friendly.  In the process, I learned what really makes HE detergent specific for those HE machines is that it is a low suds product.  The HE machines use a lot less water than the old fashioned kind and you don't want a flood of suds.

I have done about 6 loads of laundry with our new mix and I can say I LOVE it.
-The clothes are nice and clean.
-The laundry machine has functioned normal and smells nice.
-And the clothes have absolutely NO scent, which is exactly how I like it.  

For those of you that do like to add scent to your laundry you can always consider adding a bottle of "Fireworks" from the GAIN brand, a scent enhancer for laundry--totally optional though.  It really doesn't need it (and saves you $6.00!)  It smells fresh and clean on it's own.

And that glass jar gave us enough inspiration to tidy up the drab laundry room.  Hopefully more improvements coming soon!  Now that it is more functional we can work on the beautification process.

It all starts with a glass jar. 

BEFORE
AFTER

Happy Laundering!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts