Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Quinoa + Bison Stuffed Bell Peppers

This recipe was spurred by a quick need to get dinner prepped, not a very stocked fridge, and a lot of bell peppers on hand!  Luckily for me, I had just what I needed to pull this easy dinner off.

1.When I say that my fridge wasn't too stocked up- I meant it.  No ground beef on hand so bison meat it is! (...whaaa?  Don't worry, it tasted good and is super lean & healthy!) First, I browned the bison meat in a skillet and drained, then I added diced tomatoes, chopped fresh spinach, about 4 cloves of fresh minced garlic and garlic salt & red pepper flakes to taste.


2. OK, confession. The pantry was not very stocked either.  (Apparently, this lady needs to hit the supermarket in my spare time).  Instead of brown rice to add as a filling I made a cup of quinoa.  I prepared it separately, and kept it simple, following the directions on the package and then I added the cook quinoa to the skillet.  I washed the peppers and trimmed off the tops and then filled the peppers with the really good-smelling skillet concoction.


3.  For good measure I added one slice of provolone to the top of each pepper.   Because cheese is a miracle worker and has saved many a dish in my kitchen!  I added a little water in the bottom of the pan (by the way, I am SO not kitchen savvy- I know this is not a pan.  What is this thing?  A oven safe bowl? A dutch oven?) and covered loosely with aluminum foil.  I popped it in a preheated oven set to 375 and cooked for about 40 minutes until....


4. ....the cheese is nice and melty, the peppers have softened and the house smells like "Mmmmmm, mmm, good." (aka garlicky goodness).  Nom nom.


Not going to lie, the boys were a little hesitant to give the peppers a go.  But once they had a bite they ate their supper pretty well for the night.  I would go ahead and call this Jamin-and-Owen-approved!

Win!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts