Friday, June 6, 2014

American Mantel

So, I don't know if it's the mantel Jud surprised me with. Or the excitement of really being able to decorate my home with my style.  Or just pure nesting.  But I am LOVING making this house our home!

Inspired by Pinterest of course.  I will not even pretend my creation is nearly as good--but it was fun to make and turned out decent even for an impatient artist such as myself!

Inspiration:


I had mason jars on hand and some paintbrushes- so I just picked up some cheap acrylic paint from Michael's today and jumped right in.



I'm going to be honest here.  I'm a little impatient when it comes to projects.  I didn't even bother to wash the jars and make sure I had a good, clean surface.  I just started painting without a care in the world. However, a good clean surface probably makes for a better end product!



I also didn't bother with the washi tape or painters tape.  I decided to eyeball it.  Probably not the best move! 


You will definitely need two coats of paint. I had some nice streaks going on the first time around.


Don't look at the stars too closely.  I did touch them up after this because they were a little....abstract.  They are hand painted and a stamp probably would have provided a more uniform look...and in the end they might have looked a little less like starfish! ;)



I thought about cutting these flowers for my new americana vases...and for some exciting WOW effect for the picture....but they are a few days old and clinging on for life- couldn't risk it!  And they are yellow.  So they don't really go anyways.

But, here is the beginnings of our summertime mantel!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts