Saturday, July 6, 2013

Sticking with Slow-carb

Good morning!

In my humble opinion, one of the biggest draws to the slow-carb nutrition plan was the incredible no holds barred cheat meal you are allowed once a week!

I can spend more time than I care to admit thinking about the foods I plan to devour.

....And even though you PLAN to eat everything under the sun.  It won't be possible.  But you have probably enjoyed enough to keep you satisfied until the next cheat day rolls around.




I was recently introduced to the glory that is a cheese platter in a recent trip to the Carolina's.  I don't know why- but there was a cheese platter at every event I attended and it rocked my world.

Now, I can't get the thing out of my head.

Anyways, the point is there is a LOT of mouth-watering options to daydream about for a planned once a week cheat day.  And this is a part of the plan I give an enthusiastic thumbs up to!  I also think I also needed to know a cheat day was on the horizon to stick with it mentally.

The idea actually comes from The Four Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss. Now, I have *not* read this book nor am I endorsing it but that is where some of this slow-carb model comes from.  Personally, I heard about the slow-carb nutrition plan through friends and fellow BeachBody coaches who had seen success and transformation within their own bodies.  This was the plan that I chose to follow when I did P90X this past April.

I held strong to the plan for about 30 days and did see about 5 pounds in weight loss. But as with all things there are mixed reviews on this plan in regards to restricting fruits and particular veggies.   For me, when I think of long-term meal planning, I do think is reasonable to include a variety of colorful veggies. The same with fruit...I try to limit my intake to the mornings but I will certainly pick and apple or other fruit as a snack if on hand and our bodies obviously need a variety of healthy options.

I now follow this plan a little looser than I did at the beginning.  I think the rule of thumb to limit white carbs is a good one and something that I personally see results with.  Plus when I take pasta, cheese and bread out of my dinner options it usually leaves me with a protein and lots of veggies as options.  Good things.

My advice is to build a LONG-TERM eating plan that you can stick with successfully BUT pick a plan in the BEGINNING that will train you to eat cleaner.  How many times have we all said "Ohh, I will just eat better?"  That often doesn't happen unless we define what eating "better" actually means.  Set some guidelines for yourself and stick to them strongly.  Once you've developed a habit you can loosen the reigns...just a little bit ;)

And don't forget to enjoy your cheat day! Eliminating sweets if you love sweets isn't so bad if you keep it to once a week.  Same with a loaf of bread and a cheese plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts