Wednesday, June 26, 2013

my first love.

I could go on and on about how running is my first real love. Actually, I might have gotten a little nostalgic with you before with I wrote this post.

Lately, I have needed more flexibility in my workouts.  It's steaming hot in Florida this time of year and I have never really been one for the double jogging stroller...my kids are pretty wiggly.  It's hard to coordinate a morning run when you have to PUNCH IN at work at 6:50.  And evening runs...well they always seem to lose when paired up against nighttime stories and snuggles.

It was a good excuse for a while.

But I needed to take action.  I wasn't getting the results I wanted (even after 2 half marathons, 2 10K's and a 10 miler race) and my excuses were growing leaps and bounds.  That is what got me into the whole BeachBody mix initially...the flexibility to workout at home on MY time and something I could do while the kids were asleep (and something that can be done in the AC!)

But.... this post is about running!  I ran a mile for the first time this week since February.  8:18.   A far cry from my high school days of running 6:14's, but it is HUGE progress from where I was just this past winter.  I love running because how your ability is a direct result on how well TRAINED you are.  And running I understand.  The numbers and goals are ingrained in me.  I understand what an 8:18 means.   (By the way, it means next time I need to run FASTER).

I was happy to return to my love.  In a sick way I missed the scorching sun and burning in the back of my throat.    I will run another timed mile next week and research a new race to start training for this winter.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts