Thursday, May 10, 2012

a glimpse of our nights..

Owen likes to wake up at 4 am and watch me sleep in bed.  Sounds a little creepy right?  The night always starts off with the right intentions.  We swaddle and lay down our milk induced baby into his bassinet around 8.  Sometime, around my bedtime between 11 and 12, Owen wakes up for a short little meal and he willingly goes back to the bassinet and passes right out.

Image from Goodnight Moon

After that is when things get fuzzy.

The details get a little lost in that  I-have-never-been-this-tired sleep deprivation that comes along with having a newborn but it goes something like this:

3 am- Owen wakes up.  I have a wonderful arrangement worked out with the husband that it is understood he gets up at least once a night for a diaper change.

3:07- When I hear that little newborn cry picking up momentum I usually roll over, remove the pillow from on top of my husbands head, and declare "diaper change duty." And he does it.  I have a keeper.

3:08- Jud stares into the bassinet trying to figure out what time is it.  What is he supposed to do?  Why is this baby here? Why all the crying? Rubs his eyes, tries to wake up, and gets down to diaper duty business as I secretly watch- amused by his midnight delirium.

3:09- Diaper change.

3:12- Baby is freshly diapered and swaddled.

3:12- Monumentally loud gushing noise fills the room.  It is undeniable that Owen has saved the best for last.

3:12- "Aww, man."- Jud

3:16- Baby is re-diapered and re-swaddled.

3:17- After diaper changing Owen usually joins us in bed.  There, I said it- despite my best intentions the baby ends up in the bed and not the bassinet.  (But he's soooo cuddly and warm!)

3:17-3:40- Owen eats.

3:40-4- Baby burps, spits up, and makes weird gurgling and gagging noises that keeps momma on the fence between dozing off and filled with panic and checking for vitals.

4 and onward- Owen is wide eyed and watching me sleep in bed while sucking super loud on his pacifier.  Over and over again I open my eyes before drifting off- and there he is. watching me. morning after morning.  (and still making those crazy newborn noises).

It is the hardest part of the day- 4 am to 7 am.  It is long, tiring, dark and quiet.  But I have to tell you it is the sweetest of times.   Owen, so politely, just gazes at me and waits for momma to declare the day has begun and happily sucks away on his paci.



There is something mysteriously magical between those baby and momma moments in the middle of the night.  They are long and exhausting as they are happening, but they are fleeting moments in life that are truly gone once they're gone.  I am making it a point to soak up all that newborn goodness while I can- even if it is while the rest of the world is sleeping.


Image from Goodnight Moon

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!! This is so sweet :) He is jus precious, Krysta!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite parts of the day is the middle of the night, in that crazy I won't remember this tomorrow time because I was so tired, when its just me and Thomas laying in bed, nursing/snuggling. Its so sweet and he's so precious. I dont mind being woken up because he's just so perfect@

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts